Tuesday, April 23, 2019

I Owe Him My Life

The tormented wails of my neighbor in his cell woke me to my own darkness, pain, and despair.

“Oh!” he cried, “Why don’t they just kill me?  I can’t take this anymore!  What do they want?  Why are they doing this?  Why don’t they just kill me?”

“I don’t know.”  I answered his pleading, but really I couldn’t tell if he heard me, so I tried a bit louder.

“Hey, you want to hear something funny?”

The crying out stopped so I took it for a sign to go on.  I began my story.

“A few weeks ago I was walking down 7th Street, just minding my own business, looking at a story on my phone.  I came to a corner and stepped out to cross the street, when I was grabbed and pushed back onto the curb.  I saw a cab rushing past.  It could have hit me!  I turned around to see this young guy looking concerned, asking me if I was alright.  I told him I was good, then thanked him for saving my life!  I told him I owed him my life, you know how we say things like that.  He waved it all away and said he was just glad I was OK.  And, he shook my hand and walked away.

“Now here’s the funny part.  I shook off the fright I had been given, and started walking on my way to work.  I got about another block when black van, pulled up beside me and four men leapt out and grabbed me and brought me here.

“So,” I laughed, “My Good Samaritan saved me for this torture!  I owe him for this!”

A key rattled my cell door.  They were coming for me, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment